I have 3 different installations of WordPress on this domain: one for this blog, one for the demo blog, one for the onenews blog. It can be a pain when it comes to upgrading the WP core and plugins. So I decided to take a jump and activate the multisite mode which was introduced in WP3.0.
Enabling multisite mode turns out to be a relatively easy task with this simple guide. Encountered some hiccups along the way but nothing where a hack won’t do.
The Road Blocks (and getting past them)
Google XML Sitemap plugin not compatible
The stable version 3.2.4 is not compatible with the new multisite feature. This being a must have plugin, I went ahead and installed the 4.0b3 Beta version.
Not given the option of sub-directories, sub-domains installed by default
Turn out that if your site is more than 30 days old, you will not be presented with the sub-directories option. Luckily you can force enable it. Simply follow the How to Force Multi Site to Use Subdirectories guide.
Broken links in main blog
All my posts permalink were modified to point to /blog, so http://ericulous.com/2007/mypost/ becomes http://ericulous.com/blog/2007/mypost/
That would be an SEO disaster! No fear. Go to Super Admin > Sites > Edit > Permalink Structure and remove “/blog”.
Funny characters in posts
As my database tables are of collation latin1, the define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘UTF-8′) was commented out in wp-config.php. Once I switch on multisite mode, suddenly WordPress decided that my tables should be in UTF-8. I have to uncomment that line so that the non-english characters display correctly.
Unable to create new blogs
With the main blog settled, I happily went and created a new sublog. And got “Error establishing a database connection” or “One or more database tables are unavailable. The database may need to be repaired.”. I went into phpmyadmin and noticed no tables were created for the new sublog.
I suspect it was something to do with what I did to define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘UTF-8′). So I comment out that line again and viola.. new sublog added. After finish adding, I have to uncomment it again! I don’t understand the logic behind that but I’m glad it works. Also I don’t see myself adding sublogs frequently so a small inconvenience here. Just have to remind myself to comment/uncomment define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘UTF-8′) in wp-config.php when required.
Theme switcher not working
I have the theme switcher plugin in demo blog but it’s unable to switch themes anymore. Turn out it was being cached by WP-Super-Cache, even though I did not activate the plugin in the sublog. Apparently supercache is enabled across all the sublogs. The simple solution is to add /demo/ to the rejected strings field in supercache.
Browse and Share
» Subscribe to Feed
» Leave a Comment
» How to Upgrade from iPin Free Version to iPin Pro
» Useful Plugin for OneNews Theme
» WP Theme: Quality Control
» Newer Post: WP Theme: Magazinum
« Previous Post: WP Theme: Automobile Directory